Thursday, July 8, 2010

Swiftly Moving Time

I finished my wonderful vacation with 3 days in Essaouira. It was beautiful. I never lived near water and when I get the chance to see the ocean it is always a majestic beauty, able to nourish and destruct. I arrived in Essa the afternoon of Friday the 25th. I managed to find my way to the main music area and some fellow volunteers who were able to take me to the apartments we had all rented out for the event. I wish I had taken photos of the apartment. It was perfect. There was the ground floor, 2 middle floors and the roof floor with an open area all the way down between them. We had several dance parties, listened to amazing African bands and wandered the streets of Essaouira. It was so amazing to watch a band perform while on the beach. The crowds at the other stand were not so much fun with all the butt pinching. Also on that same Friday I somehow flushed my phone in the toilet. Yes, I actually flushed it, I was able to save it for the SIM card though for which I was thankful. Then Saturday was amazing, to be so unconstrained by time and to live the day from need to need, sunrise to sunset. I enjoyed a couple hours on the beach with a few chances to play in the ocean waves. On a break I had to move our things away from the incoming time and accidentally tripped over a Moroccan. Oops. Then later that day I had delicious crepes for lunch, a banana and nutella and a cheese one. Took a wonderfully relaxing "real" shower and then relaxing until the early evening when we all went to a hotel and watched the American versus Ghana game. Drank some wine and smooked some hookah. Then I realized quite how sunburned I had become afterwards and had unfortunately forgotten my Aloe Vera at home in my site... Lotion was my alternative.

Sunday I saw a few friends off, took some photos of the fish market that I hope to upload another day, and bought a sun hat and new shirt that was nice and flowy. It's a beautiful green color and didn't bother my sunburn too much. Sleeping was a whole other story. Watched a bit of music that night and then ate a wonderful fish dinner of John Dorey.

Monday I made my way to Tinjdad, rested, then made my way on home to Errachidia. Unfortunately I lost one of my favorite pairs of earrings from Ireland along the way, :(.

Then this past weekend I visited the mountain near Riche where several volunteers live and we had a few 4th of July celebrations. Was so nice to enjoy the cooler weather and be around so many great people. I showed one friend how to make a cheesecake, turned out perfectly, then my other burned. C'est la vie. Unfortunately I did not take any photos.

Today I spoke to my counterpart and she told me they finally found a building for rent! Humdullah! So excited, they are hopefully to move in next month, :). I also learned I am to be replaced. I hope I can get this site ready for a new volunteer in the short amount of time I have left. I've heard the experiences of the COSing volunteers, but it is another to actually live it. I feel time is slipping by all too quickly. It will be nice to return home for a bit, a couple months. Then perhaps about 4-6months in Australia if all works out. Then not sure... I might try Crisis Corps, a 3-6 month mini version of Peace Corps for returned volunteers, or perhaps find a job somewhere, though doing what I am not sure. I know when I created this blog I mentioned International Relations and Law...but I'm not so sure. I really love working at summer camps and may try to find a year round version. A friend mentioned I should be a teacher...who knows. I know I'm not a high power executive type. I hope to find something rewarding in a beautiful place. I do miss Iowa.

No comments: