Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back to Azrou

Salam Elaykoum world,

Back in Azrou after two weeks of training with my CBT group in our nice urban village. The rest of my week in our village went well. We put together our skit for our group presentation and started writing out CBT Phase 1 reports. Then on Saturday night, I went down to the beauty parlor with my host sister, cousin and aunt and hung out for a bit. It was fun. I had thankfully already packed my things together in preparation for my 8am departure back to Azrou on Sunday.

I met up with the other two females in our group and our female LCF at 8am at the taxi stand as the boys wanted to sleep in. We managed to squeeze the four of us into the back of a large very old mercedes. Taxis here also lack those safety features we know as seat belts. We had an uneventful ride back beyond the normal slightly crazy driving, then we took a petit taxi to the hostel. I then proceeded to do two weeks worth of laundry by hand...this was about a 2 hour procedure, but relaxing.

For lunch I went with several other volunteers and we had pizza! We went to a westernized restaurant near our hostel and had amazing thin crust pizza and cold cokes. The idea of anything cold can be rather foreign sometimes due to many not having refrigerators. You get used to room temperature, I know it's better for the system, but I still like cold beverages. I then proceeded to the local patisserie and had an amazing chocolate mousse/cake like item and a choco suisse (chocolate filled flakey croissant type french item). I then proceeded to wander and then settled down in a park and chatted with friends I hadn't seen in 2 weeks. Sunday was a very nice relaxing day.

Started training up again yesterday bright and early at 8:30am now that Ramadan is over. We discussed many topics and had several current volunteers give information on their experiences. I have loved having the chance to chat with current volunteers. We haven't had language class yet since our arrival in Azrou, but we did have the chance to practice what we have learned today. This morning we had conversations with the different LCFs, then in the afternoon we spent 2 hours labeling everything we could find in Darija or Tamazight dependent on which we were learning. It was so much fun.

I have also been very bad and have been drinking cola and eating snickers bars. I was successfull today in finally buying stamps to mail a letter to the USA. I spent way too much (about $2 per letter to mail to the USA), but I have enough for a little time. If you receive a letter, feel very very special, :). I am proud of this feat as I also managed to do the entire transaction in Darija, :).

Well, I hope you enjoy the following photos!



















No comments: