Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birthday Moroccan Style

S-salam alaykoum. I had my 24th birthday yesterday with my host family here in Morocco. I LOVED it, :). Moroccans know how to celebrate. First they dressed me in a pink kaftan and did my hair and makeup. They had also invited my entire training group over as well as a few others. Then they presented me with 2 cakes, an amazing strawberry one and then a delicious chololate one that my older host sister had made. Then their cousin did some Berber dancing in a berber costume, then I got to give it a whirl. I had such a great time. My family is making me feel very welcome here in Morocco.

I don't like walking alone very much, but I am sure I will get used the male attention soon enough. I don't have to wear a jellaba in my training town, but I do cover my arms and legs and try not to wear anything low-cut. The town itself is very beautiful and set in the mountains, I love the views. So far everyone I have met has been amazing as well. I am coming to prefer some muhanut (shopkeepers) over others and am learning to eat breakfast and lunch items that require zero refridgeration. Once Ramadan is over we will have someone cook us lunch which will be nice. My dinners here are amazing, my mom really goes all out for Ramadan. Last night I had amazing kafka, ground beef patties with seasoning. Ground beef is a specialty here. The night before I tried cow pancreas, was interesting. They had a really good fried fish as well. Overall the food is amazing and loving the mint tea, :).

Well, here are a few pics of the b-day celebration:





No comments: