Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday Monday

Another day of classes completed. Learned some more darija, reviewed the old. Also, learned how to use Turkish toilet. They are...interesting, but in a way cleaner. Definitely need to work on the squats. Basically a turkish toilet is a hole in the ground with two places to put your feet and nothing but possibly the wall to hang onto.

Well, I have less than a week to prepare enough vocabulary to live with my host family. I am looking forward to living with native Moroccans and learning first hand about their culture as I am sure they are interested in learning about mine. I hope to learn the language as quickly as possible. I am getting very good at pointing and communicating with my pidgin darija. When I got my Moroccan sim card last night the woman in the shop spoke zero english and no french...so it was fun. But, I ended up paying a good price and getting everything completed, :). I am thinking I will pick up some needed supplies tonight and maybe attempt to get a pair of sandals or jellaba (long overshirt/dress). I love the souks here, so neat to walk through. I will definitely be buying fresh everything while I am here.

And for those of you who know me well will be shocked to hear this, but....I actually like the vegetables here! They have the most amazing carrots, potatoes and squash. But that could also be due to the seasonings they use, ;). I have had couscous a few times, I am now addicted, :). At times it is difficult not being able to speak the language very well, but the people here are very kind and helpful. When I make mistakes in grammar some actually take the time to correct me.

And the sunshine! Well, dinner time. Bslama!

No comments: